Label Cloud

*eye roll*

Today I read not one, but two different news stories about how the media negatively affects children.

They said that teen girls who watch a lot of sex on TV are more likely to get pregnant and that children who play violent video games are more likely to be violent.

Umm... call me crazy, but don't the parents also have something to do with that? I grew up playing video games, both violent and not, and watching soap operas and movies with sex in them. I am neither pregnant nor violent. I mean, the type of parent who lets their 10 year old kid play Grand Theft Auto IV without talking to them about what they're doing is probably also less likely to care if their kid is violent.

But, some parents just don't want to take any blame. Blame movies, blame the media, blame music, blame video games just don't blame them? Now, I'm not saying that I don't think these things have any influence at all, but I also think that parents can diminish or even negate this influence. Seemed to work for me.

0 comments: