Label Cloud

When will summer end?

I'm freaking bored. School ended two months ago, but because of both the job market and the cost of gas, I couldn't find a part-time job that would be worth my time--it doesn't make much sense gas-wise to take a 4-hour a day summer school job that pays 8 dollars an hour, but is 25 minutes away. So, I've been bumming around this summer. And I'm bored. I've done a little studying, a few craft projects. At this point, I'm considering trying to remember how to knit and working on that. I mean, I can usually entertain myself with reading and/or games, but I'm running out of material.

Side note: Brent and I were having our periodic "how to we feel about the concept of kids" discussion. We agree: we understand why people want kids (at least, we can think of reasons why we do) and it's something we'll consider in five or so years. But neither of us can understand baby love. I can see why you'd want a 4 year old--someone to teach new things to, help them start enjoying different hobbies, etc. But why do some people obsess over babies? Little squirming babies that can't talk, can't walk, can't do anything for themselves? I think maybe if we ever decide to pass our awesomeness on to a second generation, we'll heavily consider adoption.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I'll admit that I like babies, that being said, it is completely different with your own babies. There's nothing like the first time your child smiles at you, or recognizes you, or wants only you to console her (or him, in my case a her). I think Sean would agree. He does not like babies at all but he is infatutated with Jillian. For you, baby love might just be reserved for your own baby.

Heather J. said...

Ditto to what Holly said. Stephen isn't a big fan of other people's babies, but he is a fan of his own. It will really just have to be something you have to experience for yourself, if you decide to become a parent. One wonderful thing about a baby is that they love unconditionally. They don't care what you look like or what your weaknesses are. They aren't going to judge a thing you do. They love you no matter what! :) I could go on, but I won't bore you. Having your own baby is awesome!

Blithe said...

Having one of your own is great - in retrospect.
I distinctly remember not sleeping through the night for 2 years. I remember the diaper smell (and I breastfed - for 2.5 years). I remember colic. I remember rotovirus.

I adore my girl. I am seriously looking forward to never changing another diaper, but I am glad I did it.
Childbirth was like nothing else, and I want to keep that memory forever.

But, with all the children who need good stable forever homes in this country - adoption is not a bad idea. It's definitely the least selfish one.